Indian Air Force
- Physical fitness is one of the most important prerequisites for joining
the Air Force. Irrespective of the branch you are applying for, you must
fulfil some basic physical standards. Listed below are some guidelines that
identify the general physical requirements that are common for all
- You must be in good physical and mental health and free from any
disease/ disability, which is likely to interfere with efficient performance
of duties. There should be no evidence of weak constitution, bodily defects
- The height and weight standards for men and women differ.
- Your chest should be well developed. The minimum range of expansion
after full inspiration should be 5 cm.
- There should be no disease of bones and joints of the body.
- You should be free of any past history of mental breakdown or fits.
- Your hearing should be normal without any evidence of present or past
disease of the ear, nose and throat.
- There should be no sign of functional or organic disease of the heart
and blood vessels. Your blood pressure should also be normal.
- The muscles of the abdomen should be well developed without any
enlargement of the liver or spleen. Any evidence of disease of internal
organs of the abdomen can be a cause for rejection.
- An un-operated hernia can make you unfit for selection. If operated,
this should have been done at least six months prior to the present
examination and healing should be complete without any potential for
- There should be no hydrocele, varicocele or piles. If operated for
hydrocele and/or varicocele, this should have been done at least six months
prior to the present examination and healing should be complete without any
- Urine examination will be done and any abnormality, if detected, can be
a cause for rejection.
- Any disease of the skin, which is likely to cause disability or
disfigurement, will also be a cause for rejection.
- Vision will be tested. You must have good binocular vision. In case you
have undergone or are detected to have undergone Radial Keratotomy, or any
other procedure to improve the visual acuity, you will be permanently
- You should have sufficient number of natural and sound teeth. A minimum
of 14 dental points will be acceptable. When 32 teeth are present, the total
dental points are 22. You should not be suffering from severe pyorrhoea.
- The following are conditions pertaining to women that will entail
rejection for all Air Force Duties:
- Acute or chronic pelvic infection
- Severe menorrhagia
- Severe dysmenorrhea
- Complete prolapse of uterus
- Pregnancy/ Amenorrhea
- Any other gynaecological condition, if so considered by the
- It may be noted that the Air Force Medical Board is the final authority
while deciding the medical fitness for joining the Indian Air Force.